Friday, April 11, 2008

Powdered Sugar

Last night my husband brought home what he declared to be "a special surprise dessert for us that only had 150 calories." Given my experience with low calorie diets, I assumed it was a teeny tiny cookie or two bites of an apple crumble in a microwaveable cup.

After dinner my husband ran into the kitchen and declared, "I am going to make you dessert!" He was suddenly giddy and very proud of his discovery. I hung on one word… MAKE. "You have to make it?" I asked. He grinned slyly and said, "yeah… where are the measuring cups?"

I knew it would not end well if I left him alone in the kitchen so I paused my Fraiser re-run and followed him. Thea, from a plastic Walgreens bag, he produced two boxes of Warm Delights. I will refrain from making a dirty pun here but I will tell you it is never a good thing to eat dessert from a drugstore.

The back of the box calls for one tablespoon plus one teaspoon of warm water. "Where is a tablespoon and a teaspoon?" he asked. I explained you can't do it that way and got out my heart-shaped measuring spoons for him. As he emptied brown powder into a tiny plastic cup, I had to ask "Are we supposed to eat this in space?"
Offended (as if he had invented the tiny freeze-dried cake idea) he said, "No, we microwave them!"

Now, I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself, but 30 seconds later we had… cake? We had a little round brownie? Well anyway, we had dessert.

I have to admit it was pretty good. Nothing like the cakes I make, mind you, but for something that was dust mere seconds earlier, it was acceptable. I still object to the manufacturer calling it "cake" and to my husband claiming to have "made a cake," but if you are ever craving chocolate and have 30 seconds to spare (and a tablespoon plus a teaspoon of water) I say give these little confections a try.

No comments: