Thursday, May 1, 2008

Perennials



She walked me out to the garden at the end of her vast yard. Before we even arrived, her arm was outstretched in an accusatory point at a single lily blossom.


“It came in all crazy this year.” I could tell she was disappointed.


“Every year, for as long as I can recall, theses lilies have been orange; just solid orange. But this year…” she trailed off and shook her finger at the flower.


I squatted down to get a better look. I didn’t mind it. I didn’t know what lilies ought to look like or that there was a right or a wrong way for one to grow.


“This year, this…thing showed up all red and orange and gold-streaked, t'ain't what I expected.”


“Some years,” I told her, “are different than others.”


“Huh, could be anything. Sometimes the weather can do it, or the kind of light they get, or what you feed them.”

“Or, maybe,” I asked hopefully, “this was just her year?”

No comments: